Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Still waiting...

There were a few close calls and disappointments this weekend.  Alabama didn't look as good as people expected on offense (I'll be very surprised if Sims starts all season) or defense.  Ohio State sucked and Navy lost its momentum, which was hugely disappointing.  Then of course Oklahoma State fumbled away a golden opportunity to beat a terribly overrated FSU team - but after seeing that game, I'm confident FSU will not go undefeated this year.

But one disappointment stood out above all the others.  The biggest disappointment of the weekend was the Florida game being terminated after 10 seconds.  Sure, Valdez Showers looked great for 10 seconds.  And I mean, Jeff Driskel didn't turn the ball over.  We didn't miss any field goals.  Our defense didn't allow a first down - or even a yard - from Idaho's offense.  We averaged 64 yards per return, and we're still undefeated.  This all sounds great if you didn't see or hear about the game.  But I really, really wanted to watch the Gators play.  I sat in a Gator bar in Nashville with one of my best friends from college, and we were pretty disappointed.  It didn't help that the rain in Nashville was almost as bad as the rain in Gainesville on Saturday!  So I'm still waiting for Florida to really start its season.  Ten seconds of football just didn't do it for me.

 
Florida vs Idaho (Complete Game)


So sometimes I'll write about some crazy things some of my friends say.  One friend of mine has been telling me for months that the Miami Hurricanes will go undefeated in football this year.  I actually thought they'd surprise people in the first game because Louisville lost an awesome coach, but I was wrong.  So that friend of mine is very quiet now.  Obviously we have a bet on the Miami-Nebraska game the end of the month.  Hint: the Huskers aren't losing to Miami in Lincoln.  I made a few accurate predictions based on my SEC bias.   One such prediction I made about this past weekend was that LSU would win in the 4th quarter.  Sure, I thought it would be decided later in the quarter, but I know many people thought Wisconsin had secured a victory in the 3rd.  I knew better.  I know Les gets Lucky, and I know LSU doesn't lose openers like that.  Of course Georgia beat Clemson and of course Auburn beat Arkansas.  No surprises there.  And I guess for now it's safe for me to eat potatoes since Florida didn't lose to Idaho.  I hope they reschedule the game. 

On to week 2! Nebraska will blow out McNeese State.  Rutgers will beat Howard and remain undefeated as a Big Ten team.  I'll take Stanford at home over USC and I'll take Oregon at home over Michigan State.  I'm already picking Nebraska and Rutgers - how many Big Ten teams can I really pick to win in one weekend? I think Michigan vs Notre Dame will be close, but I'll say Notre Dame wins by single digits.  I'll pick Ole Miss on the road at Vandy.  Just for my dad, I hope Houston can beat Grambling State.  Houston looked terrible against UTSA.

Not many marquis games this weekend.  There supposedly are more thunderstorms expected in Gainesville on Saturday.  With any luck, I'll get to see Florida beat Eastern Michigan this weekend.

GO GATORS!!

1 comment:

  1. I hope UM blows out ND! Analysts were talking about how great ND was/looked. Ok, so I guess Rice is now an excellent test of a team's ability and potential? I just can't handle the USC and ND media hype sometimes.

    ReplyDelete