Thursday, September 6, 2012

Week 1 - 2012 College Football

Okay, so the Gators looked absolutely awful on offense.  Defense showed promise.  I want to convince myself that Muschamp planned to look terrible to throw off Texas A&M....but I know better.  Hopefully this week they'll find some offensive rhythm.

As predicted, the Big Ten looked terrible.  Can people stop saying "the Big Ten is back" now?? Clearly it's not.  I saw 4 convincing wins out of 12 teams, and none were over anyone impressive.  However, Southern Miss had an impressive season last year, and the Huskers dominated them on Saturday.  I told you Martinez would remember how awesome he can be! Sure, Ohio State, Purdue and Illinois had easy wins.  But what about the rest? Indiana, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Iowa and Michigan State all won by between 1 point and 7 points against all currently unranked teams.

Penn State lost an emotional home opener to Ohio and Michigan got completely embarrassed by the SEC, which came as no surprise to anyone who has watched Big Ten football in the last decade.  Denard Robinson says he could beat Usain Bolt in a race.  He's dreaming.  It's more likely Usain Bolt would be a successful QB at Michigan.



FSU will stay overrated for a while.  Their first real competitor is Clemson on September 22nd.  Though I would love to see Savannah State pull the ridiculous upset.  I don't want to see FSU cover that large spread.  I'd also love to see a huge upset from Syracuse since I hate Lane Kiffin, but somehow I don't see either one happening.

Oklahoma State proved it had offense, but I'm not sure 84 points were really necessary in that game.  I wasn't impressed with Oklahoma.  Based solely on first week, my early guess would be the Big 12 champion is between Oklahoma State and West Virginia.  TCU hasn't played yet.  I have my doubts about Kansas State.  And Texas struggled with Wyoming.

With West Virginia out of the Big East, hopefully RU's chance is improved.  Pitt looked ridiculous.  No one in the Big East looked impressive.  The 12-point victory for Rutgers over Tulane was far from promising.

The Pac 12 didn't look so hot.  At this point it looks like a battle between USC and Oregon.  If that's the case, GO DUCKS.  Side note: Let's go UCF! Beat the Buckeyes!

It pains me to say it, but Alabama and LSU still look like top ten teams.  South Carolina looked like it does not belong in the top ten.  Georgia struggled early but got its act together in the second half.  Sadly, Georgia looked like the strongest SEC East team after just one game.  But since it's only one game, I won't read so much into it....I'll see how they look the end of October since that's what matters to me. 

Not many high-profile games in week 2.  But I'll make a few picks.  Wisconsin wins at Oregon State.  Nebraska beats UCLA at the Rose Bowl.  Oklahoma State wins at Arizona.  Mississippi State beats Auburn.  North Carolina wins at Wake Forest.  Georgia beats Missouri.  Illinois loses at Arizona State.  RU beats Howard.



Most importantly, Florida BETTER beat Texas A&M.  ESPN College GameDay will be there....the Gators better show up too! This is the one game Muschamp should actually be prepared for (at least as far as atmosphere) given his background at Texas.  I have a great deal of respect for Sumlin, but Muschamp, if you coach this game the same way you coached last weekend, you may as well start looking for a new job.  Come on, make Gator Nation proud this weekend!!

GO GATORS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment