Wednesday, September 28, 2011

College Football 2011 Week 5

Okay, so I was right about my random upset pick of Toledo over Syracuse, but apparently a referee had money on the game. Congrats to the Rockets on their 30-29 win at Syracuse. Also, I'm very happy Kiffin lost. FSU really did struggle and they lost at Clemson. Rutgers beat Ohio. Nebraska beat Wyoming. And well, my Gators destroyed Kentucky in Lexington.

Desmond Howard, what were you thinking? Picking Kentucky over Florida? Give me a break. My upset picks were much better. Yeah, I get it - you wanted to go out on a limb. But Florida hasn't lost to Kentucky since 1986. As you pointed out yourself, Kentucky is not good this year. The Wildcats have not looked impressive in any game yet. They lost to Louisville. Louisville lost to FIU. Need I go on? That was not your best pick, Mr. Howard.

So, my three favorite college teams won last weekend, but what will happen this weekend? There are some very big games this weekend. Rutgers plays Syracuse who apparently has worked out a deal with the referees.  More importantly, Nebraska plays in Madison where it is very tough to win.  And most importantly, Florida is playing Alabama at home.

But I'll get to those picks shortly.

Pittsburgh showed me last week how bad they are by losing to Notre Dame.  South Florida beat Notre Dame.  But for some reason, I'm leaning toward Pitt tomorrow night.  Houston stays undefeated at UTEP.  Go Cougars!  BYU beats Utah State on Friday.

Arkansas will give Texas A&M a taste of SEC life Saturday - the Razorbacks win this one.  Minnesota falls at Michigan.  Zook beats Northwestern.  Georgia will play a closer game with an SEC West opponent this week.  I'll pick Dan Mullen in a close one.  If Kentucky thought last weekend was bad at home, the Wildcats really should not be looking forward to this weekend.  LSU wins big.  South Carolina will win a close game over Auburn.  I'm still not overly impressed with Spurrier's Gamecocks this season.  Once upon a time I had hope for Nevada, but I think Boise State is winning this one.  SMU has a better chance at TCU than people think, but that doesn't mean I think June Jones will pull off the upset.

Georgia Tech wins on the road.  Baylor wins at Kansas State.  Even though I think Michigan State is terribly overrated, I'm picking the Spartans over the Buckeyes this weekend.  Yes, Miller is better than Bauserman.  But Ohio State is just not good.  Clemson is overrated.  Virginia Tech isn't good, but the Hokies should beat Clemson.  Texas beats Iowa State.  Stanford beats awful UCLA.  Arizona State beats Oregon State. 

And the most important games of the week..... I think Rutgers will beat Syracuse - as long as the refs aren't blind.  I think the Huskers have yet to play to their potential.  This could be a very high scoring game.  Nebraska's defense hasn't impressed me, and Wisconsin has quite an offense.  The question that will determine the outcome is this: Can the Badgers stop Taylor Martinez? Both teams have potentially deadly offenses, and neither has shown me any defense.  Also, neither team has played anyone yet.  So this is a tough game to pick.  It's hard to win in Madison, but I want to pick Nebraska.  Would be great to see Nebraska win its first conference game in the Big Ten.  I'll say this - if Nebraska can shut down Wisconsin's run game, they've got a good shot.  If the Husker defense doesn't show up, this game could get ugly in a hurry.

And the most important game of the week....well, it's in the Swamp.  Well, Florida started the season with easy games against FAU and UAB.  No one expected trouble from either team, and the Gators coasted.  Then they played 2 SEC East opponents.  Tennessee and Kentucky...not exactly the toughest competition in the Southeast.  And Florida prevailed in both games.  The offense has been decent, but I'm still not sold on Brantley or Thompson.  This would be a good week to impress me.  The defense has looked lazy, but I wonder if the defense has just been playing to the level of its competition.  Alabama played well against a good Arkansas team.  I was not impressed with the Crimson Tide's performance in Happy Valley.  I thought they should have won that game by 100 points.  But they didn't.  So now, I'm tempted to believe if the Gator defense comes to play and shuts down Trent Richardson, Florida has a great chance to upset Alabama.  I bleed orange and blue.  I'm picking the upset.  I pick F-L-O-R-I-D-A!



Go Gators! R-U! Rah! Rah! Go Big Red!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment