Wednesday, September 21, 2011

College Football 2011 Week 4

Remember when I said week 3 would be more interesting? Well, it was awesome. Any weekend where both Ohio State and Florida State lose and the Gators win, I'm a happy girl. It's about time Ohio State dropped out of the top 25!

Auburn should have won at Clemson, but I guess they ran out of miracles. Either way, neither team of Tigers will go too far this season. The LSU Tigers on the other hand...beware. I was very glad to see Michigan State fall out of the rankings after losing to awful Notre Dame. How long before the fighting Irish are back in the rankings?

South Carolina did not impress me against Navy. Nebraska had a slow start, but the Huskers beat the Huskies. I'm not appreciating the lack of respect for Houston. Texas beat UCLA and moved up to 19. Granted, Houston's schedule is much easier than Texas's. But the Cougars did beat UCLA too, and they remain undefeated and ranked. This is my main grudge against early season rankings. They show NOTHING. They're based purely on rumors, biases and media hype. Shouldn't they be based on which team has the best chance of getting to the national championship? Well, statistically, the teams who are undefeated would have the best chance at this point, no? And yet, three one-loss teams remain ranked in the AP Poll, and four in the USA Today Poll. This is why I don't make my picks based on rankings. This is why I picked a winless, unranked Miami team to beat "ranked" Ohio State last week. I watched them play football. I just didn't think Ohio State stood a chance. (Yes, I may be biased - but remember...Gators don't like Hurricanes either!)

So, Pitt and Syracuse to the ACC? UConn and Rutgers rumors circulating? Not sure how I feel about this. I think eventually college football will evolve to a point where there are two conferences: East and West. The Big 12 and Big East are in trouble for now, though. Texas and Oklahoma staying in the Big 12 for now though will help the Big 12 last a bit longer. Texas A&M is not smart for joining the SEC. In all likelihood, the team will end up in the SEC West, and will end up being beaten repeatedly by the likes of LSU, Auburn, Alabama... I suppose it will help keep up the rivalry with Arkansas (who I believe is the better team).

Anyway, on to Week 4 picks...

Tomorrow night I will take Cincinnati at home. Friday - UCF loses to BYU.
I think San Diego State is gonna give Michigan a good fight. I think Michigan wins a close one. North Carolina turnovers lead to a Georgia Tech victory. Random pick: Toledo upsets Syracuse. Toldeo played well in Columbus and Syracuse didn't impress me. Maybe I'm just mad at Syracuse for not beating Lane Kiffin - even if I did pick USC...

Notre Dame starts 1-3 when they lose at Pitt. Georgia will make a stand for the SEC East against the SEC West this weekend and win at Ole Miss (not that a win means Georgia is good). Rutgers will definitely beat Ohio. I believe Alabama is beating Arkansas at home, but I do think Alabama is a bit overhyped. I still think Lucky Les and LSU will win the SEC West. I think Oklahoma State will win at Texas A&M. Wisconsin will beat South Dakota.

I think FSU will struggle at Clemson. Go Tigers! Washington rebounds after last weekend and beats Cal. Vanderbilt is losing to Spurrier & Co. Kansas St-Miami will be a close game between two bad teams. Rice may have beaten awful Purdue (yeah, the big ten is fantastic!), but the Owls are not beating Baylor. South Florida will beat UTEP and they'll stay ranked - maybe even move up for it.

No one on Florida's current team was alive the last time Kentucky beat Florida (1986). Gators win their first road game of the season. Nebraska will destroy Wyoming. LSU will beat West Virginia (who apparently no one wants to play with!). Arizona may put up a fight early, or may try to crawl back late, but I don't think Oregon is falling this week. Arizona State beats USC. Hawaii beats UC-Davis.

GO GATORS!!! R-U! Rah! Rah! Go Big Red!

No comments:

Post a Comment