Monday, September 20, 2010

Week 3

Okay, so just like last year, Iowa can't back up all the hype! Michigan was lucky to get past UMass. Nebraska was awesome. Texas got lucky. I think Texas Tech forgot there are 2 halves in a football game. Wisconsin got VERY lucky. I may have spoken too soon about Oklahoma. Evidently the ACC is really just THAT bad and FSU made Oklahoma look awesome. Air Force could have easily won that game. West Virginia did not need to play extra hard to prove anything because Maryland is not good. Another disappointment in a bad conference. The ACC has one ranked team right now. And at 1-1, I haven't seen anything impressive from Miami. Baylor is worse than I thought, and TCU looked better than I expected. Auburn got lucky. Arkansas earned its win. LSU had no problem.

I do believe it's a down year for college football, but the SEC still looks most impressive of all conferences. It may only be 3 weeks in, but the SEC has 6 ranked and 7 undefeated teams after 3 weeks. The Big 12 looks second best in my opinion, having 7 undefeated and 3 ranked teams. I haven't yet decided on the Pac-10 & Big Ten, but I can tell you the ACC is surely the 6th best of the BCS Conferences and I would put the Big East at 5th.

My Florida Gators are still not where they need to be, but they are getting better each week, and they've played a tougher opponent each week. The bottom line is they've won all their games by double digits, but they continue to drop in the USA Today Rankings. Texas struggles with Wyoming in the first half last week and barely comes out of Lubbock with a double digit victory, and they continue to get that single first-place vote. Seriously? Voter bias at its best. Can anyone tell me which AP Poll voter is a UT Alum? The Longhorns should beat UCLA no problem, but then they have 2 tough games in a row against Oklahoma and Nebraska. I will be shocked if Texas starts the season 6-0. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. As for a team in Texas who I believe has a better quarterback than Gilbert, Houston is out of luck. Without Keenum, they will struggle this season. He is a star. And the cougars can't catch a break. Not only did they lose their star for the season, they lost his backup. Tough break, but good news for Terrance Broadway.

As for Week 4 Predictions...Miami vs. Pittsburgh...all depends on which Miami team comes to play. Flip a coin. If Harris still wants to throw all those interceptions, the crowd will get into it early and Pittsburgh will win. In my opinion, neither team is great so this game does not matter. TCU will beat SMU. But don't sleep on June Jones! I hope SMU comes to play. Wisconsin will beat Austin Peay, but they may not cover the spread. Michigan will likely play another close game to get past Bowling Green. I don't think Bowling Green is a tough competitor, I just don't understand why Michigan is ranked other than for fan hype and ticket sales. Michigan State will beat Northern Colorado. Ohio State will beat Eastern Michigan. Penn State will beat Temple. Austin Peay, Bowling Green, Northern Colorado, Eastern Michigan, Temple....all playing ranked Big Ten teams. And people wonder why I say voters have no idea what they're talking about when they discuss the Big Ten's "quality out-of-conference victories." I'll believe it when I see it. The Alabama-Arkansas game should be a good game with Arkansas having the home-field advantage, but I don't think Alabama is ready to surrender its top spot in the polls just yet. Stanford should win on the road. Notre Dame is still preoccupied trying to figure out what happened in OT against Michigan State. Oklahoma will beat Cincinnati. LSU has another home game on a Saturday night. West Virginia lost all credibility with me in the Marshall game. LSU's home record on Saturday nights is too strong. Tigers win this one. Nebraska will have no problem with South Dakota State. Rutgers will struggle with UNC, but I hope the Scarlet Knights walk away with a win. Florida will hopefully extend its win streak over Kentucky. The Wildcats haven't beaten the Gators in football since 1986. Keep the streak going, Gators! And perhaps the game most anticipated game of this week...Oregon State @ Boise State. I think the Broncos win this one on the Smurf Turf. This is Boise State's toughest game of the season, and no one knows if the Beavers are any good yet. But no matter who wins, I feel good about picking the team in orange and blue!

Go Gators! Go Scarlet Knights! Go Huskers!

No comments:

Post a Comment