Friday, October 28, 2011

The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party

So, I didn't see that Oklahoma loss coming - but they better be careful this weekend, or it could be 2 in a row.  Kansas State has looked pretty good! I still think Oklahoma State is winning the Big 12, though.  Can't say I was surprised about Wisconsin losing.  After all, that was the one upset I mentioned in my last post.  Houston is still undefeated and still getting no respect - but then again, the Cougars might be the only team in the BCS top 25 with an easier schedule than Wisconsin's.  They're gonna need TCU to beat Boise State to even make a case for deserving a BCS bid.  And even then, it would be a tough sell.

Typical Georgia fans....no description needed.
So the Gators had a week off.  Hopefully they did something productive with the bye week.  Our new coach will square off against his alma mater for the first time as Florida's head coach.  Muschamp, don't disappoint us.  Georgia has lost 18 of the last 21 meetings, just remember that.  Let's make that 19 of 22, okay? Thanks.

This game is widely known as "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party."  What always amazes me are the crisp lines splitting the crowd.  One half - red and black.  The better half - orange and blue.  Now, anyone who knows me well knows I'm not a big fan of the state of Georgia in general.  And so, each year during Florida-Georgia week, I repeatedly sing a catchy tune.  In fact, it is currently my ringtone.  Have a listen:


Versions of this song exist for South Carolina and Georgia Tech as well.  No one likes Georgia.  And those who do...well...they secretly like the Gators better anyway, and when given the opportunity, they'll switch over to support the Gators.  Right, Will Muschamp?

Florida-Georgia 2009
The Gators MUST win this weekend.  Seriously.  They must.  Fourth ranked opponent in a row.  I know the SEC West is tough, but I'd like to keep hope that Florida can at least beat all the teams in the SEC East.  And they will have a psychological advantage this week: Brantley is expected to return! Hopefully he'll give the Gators the boost they need to win this game.  I'm hearing Demps is at full speed, too.  Muschamp, if you want to establish hope for the program under your reign as coach, you MUST beat Tennessee, Georgia and Florida State.  You took care of Tennessee on the road.  Beat your alma mater in neutral territory.  Worry about the Seminoles next month.


In other news, Rutgers-West Virginia is on ABC at 3:30pm (at least where I'll be watching).  It's nice when Rutgers gets attention from ABC - even if the regionalization of games is very lopsided.  Nova, I know you're a freshman - but no late game interceptions this week.  Harrison, if Nova throws you a pass that even I would catch 99 out of 100 times, you need to catch that ball!! And Te, you're better than this.  No more missed field goals that we all know you could make in your sleep.  Got it??? Thanks.  Talking about Rutgers has put me in the mood for a fat sandwich from the Grease Trucks.... I expect Nebraska won't let me down in its 12 noon game against the Spartans on ESPN.

My trouble this weekend? I might miss the end of the Nebraska game to catch the Florida kickoff (3:30pm on CBS!), and I can only watch Rutgers during commercials, in picture-in-picture or on split screen.  Oh, the troubles of a football fan....

GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (To hell with Georgia!!)
Right after Florida beat Georgia in 2009.  Notice the sky is orange and blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment