Monday, December 6, 2010

Week 13

Well, a disappointing season for Rutgers came to a close. The bowl streak is no more. And despite having lost to Rutgers, UConn won the Big East and will play Oklahoma in a Fiesta Bowl that won't be very exciting. Neither team is particularly good. Nebraska proved that it has a better team than Oklahoma, but that it also has a more careless and accident-prone team. Really, what was with all those turnovers? Oregon and Auburn kept their undefeated seasons alive, and not surprisingly they will meet in Arizona for the national championship game. Stanford will play, and most likely dominate, Virginia Tech from the way-down ACC in this year's Orange Bowl. Wisconsin should be able to handle TCU in the Rose Bowl. The Sugar Bowl must hate Ohio State, because I just can't see Pryor and gang beating Arkansas. I thought the BCS would work things out to ensure an easy game for Ohio State against UConn.

The full bowl schedule was released last night. The strongest conference (the SEC) has 10 teams playing in bowl games this season. After a terribly disappointing and depressing season for the Gators, they will play Penn State in the Outback Bowl. Not quite the same stage as the 2 National Championship games they played for (and won) in the last 4 years or the Sugar Bowl victory last year. If Florida loses to a big ten school, I will be all for firing Urban Meyer. Yes, Steve Addazio is predictable and not up to par. Yes, Brantley is not a good fit for an SEC football team. But I can't continue to put the entire blame on Addazio and Brantley if Urban is still allowing the reign of terror to continue. If losing the game would ensure the departure of Addazio and Brantley, I would actually cheer for the Nittany Lions. Besides - I do like peachy Paterno ice cream. Anyway, GO GATORS. I will hold off on making all of my bowl selections. But for this week, I see Navy beating Army.

On to basketball. Well, the Gators fell to UCF - but come on. They have Michael Jordan's son! Winning is in his blood. And the Gators rebounded yesterday with a road-win at American. I'm looking forward to the rematch of the 2008 National Championship game tomorrow night, and I once again expect Kansas to beat Memphis. Kansas almost gave me a heart attack that night, but Mario Chalmers did make sure I won my pool. Also looking forward to Michigan State-Syracuse. Sorry Spartans, but I don't think the Big Ten can hang with the Big East in basketball. Michigan State isn't terrible, but I have tremendous respect for Big East basketball. Vanderbilt at Missouri on Wednesday might actually be a good game. Tenn at Pitt should be good. Not surprisingly, I also look forward to seeing the Gators play (and hopefully beat) Kent State. The Scarlet Knights are not off to a great start under their new coach, but the season is still young - and they did lose their top scorer to the Gators. After a close game with in-state rival Creighton, the Huskers are 6-2. The Lady Knights rebounded nicely after a tough loss to Temple with a 73-32 victory over Central Connecticut State. A win at Georgetown this week would be great! The Lady Huskers suffered their first loss yesterday at Indiana. The Lady Gators are off to a 7-2 start.

Go Gators! Go Scarlet Knights! Go Huskers!

No comments:

Post a Comment